How to write your testimony
Figuring out your testimony and how to share it can sometimes be tricky, but it’s not as difficult as you may think at first. Think of it like telling a story. Like every good story, it should have a beginning, middle, and end with the middle being the high point or climax. The beginning should focus on your life before Christ and how you came to recognize your need for Christ. The high point of your story should emphasize how you heard the gospel and your response to it. The conclusion should focus on the difference that Christ has made in your life. Here are some questions to ask yourself and reflect on as you go about writing your story:
Your Life Before Christ
- What are three words you would use to describe your life before Christ?
- What caused you to see the need for Christ in your life?
How You Heard and Responded to the Gospel
- Where did you hear the gospel when you came to faith? How was it presented to you? Why was it impactful?
- Had you heard the gospel previously? If you did, what made it make sense this time? What was different about it this time?
- How did the gospel speak to an area of need in your life?
Since Coming to Faith in Christ
- What has changed since coming to Christ? How would your previous descriptions of your life change?
- Where and how have you experienced God’s grace in your life (Ephesians 2:8–10)?
With all the information you pull from answering these questions, writing out your testimony will be much easier! People will be able to see what your life was like before knowing Jesus as your Lord and Savior, how you came to accept Him, and what your life looks like now after you have accepted Him. Looking at it simpler, your testimony really answers those three questions: What was your life like before Christ? How did you come to know Him as your Lord and Savior? How has your life changed as a result?
Figuring out how to articulate your testimony and beginning to share it with others are great next steps of faith that any follower of Christ can take! If you have more questions about writing your testimony or want a little help with figuring it out, don’t hesitate to reach out to your Campus Pastor or our Next Steps Coordinator. We want to help you take this step in your walk of faith, and are excited to see how the Lord will use your story to impact others.
Download a testimony writing worksheet here.